Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Primary 1

I moved to Hong Kong in part because I believed that my children might get a better education at an international school, then they would at a local public school in America. Since I arrived eight months ago, I have learned quite a bit about the application process for Primary 1 - much I thought was worth sharing...

First, the class sizes are large - as is the student/teacher ratio (30:1 is average for ESF schools).

Second, getting into schools is far more difficult then I ever imagined it would be. The stress that goes along with getting a four-year-old a spot at a desirable school is no different then the stress of applying to a good college. Applications begin in September, interviews happen in January, placements are offered and school starts in the fall.

Third, if you live in Sai Kung, you are limited by how long a bus ride you think your 5-year-old can endure. Many parents think nothing of putting their children on a 6 am-ish bus, for an 8ish start. As I can't imagine putting a 5-year-old on a bus for longer than 20 minutes, I am limited to the schools that are closer to Sai Kung.

They include:

- Clearwater Bay School
http://www.cwbs.edu.hk/
Over-subscribed - with an attitude to reflect it. The building and facilities seemed a little old, student/teacher ratios are high - nonetheless, it is a very desirable school. The best way to get in is to attend Abacus, a preschool that all but guarantees a spot. We arrived in Hong Kong too late to apply to Abacus, so I ended up (very happily) at New Song. As a result, we ended-up in the "category 1 lottery" for one of 17 spots (after the rest had been given to siblings, alumns, etc.) Most parents, it seems, are quite happy with it. Worth mentioning I've heard they have an exceptional special needs department.

- Renaissance College
http://www.renaissance.edu.hk/
Also over-subscribed (they received 650 applications for 124 spots), Renaissance offers the same student:teacher ratio, but newer (more impressive) facilities. The down-side for the average Westerner, is that Renaissance is bound to have a certain percentage (was it 70%?) of permanent resident card holders attend the school, which makes it hard for Western kids to get in. I've heard it's more academic then Clearwater Bay, but not quite as academic as a typical Chinese school. Worth mentioning there is no catchment area for Renaissance, which is one reason why the application number is so high.

- Japanese International School
http://es.jis.edu.hk/
I don't know much about this school, but I have heard nothing but RAVE reviews. While some parents fuss about CWB or Renaissance, I have not found a single person who has anything bad to say - other then how tough it is get into this school. It's supposed to be amazing.

- Sha Tin Junior College
http://www.shatincollege.edu.hk/
I don't know much about this school either, except it takes a more liberal approach to education. It appears to be good for kids who need a more flexible, less rigid learning environment.

- Hong Lok Yuen
http://www.hlyis.edu.hk/
A bit far, but supposedly has rolling hills and a family atmosphere. I did not consider it because it already had quite a wait list (kids move to Primary 1 from reception, so there are very few spots available).

- Hong Kong Academy (2012/2013)
http://www.hkacademy.edu.hk/
I've heard amazing things about this school, but they also have an amazingly high (40K!) mandatory debenture. Definitely worth applying to if your company can cover the debenture - or you have an extra 40K to spare.

No real advice to offer, other than to take a deep breath and dive in. Hope for the best. I have been lucky enough to get two interviews, after applying to 4 schools. I ran into a woman I know through play dates, and she did not get any invitations for an interview. So I count my lucky stars tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment